On some models of computer equipped with the Intel 8 Series Chipset, you may experience connectivity issues when connecting the ActivBoard/ActivPanel USB cable to your computer. The problem exhibits itself as a ‘connect’ and then ‘disconnect’ sound from within Windows when the USB cable is connected to the computer. You will also find that the ActivBoard/ActivPanel is not interactive at this time.
Upon further investigation, we have identified that the Intel 8 Series Chipset on some models of computer behaves differently to its predecessors when connecting to some USB 2.0 devices, and are exhibiting backward compatibility issues. Whilst this is not limited to Promethean products, we are aware of occasions where the Intel 8 Series Chipset cannot detect the ActivBoard 100/300 range or ActivPanel.
If you are experiencing issues similar to the above, please check that you are actually using a computer with the Intel 8 Series Chipset:
Open Device Manager by clicking the Start button, clicking Control Panel, clicking System and Security, and then, under System, clicking Device Manager. Type the administrator password or provide confirmation if prompted.
- Swipe in from the right edge of the screen, and then tap Search. (If you’re using a mouse, point to the bottom right corner of the screen, move the mouse pointer up, and then click Search.)
- Type Device Manager in the search box, and tap or click Device Manager. You may be asked for an admin password or to confirm your choice.
In Device Manager, expand the entry for Universal Serial Bus controllers by clicking on the > sign on the left hand side, which will show you the type of chipset inside your computer:
Upon confirmation, please ensure that you have completed all Windows Updates on the affected machine:
- Open Windows Update by clicking the Start button. In the search box, type Update, and then, in the list of results, click Windows Update.
- In the left pane, click Check for updates, and then wait while Windows looks for the latest updates for your computer.
- If any updates are found, click Install updates.
- Open Windows Update by swiping in from the right edge of the screen (or, if you’re using a mouse, pointing to the bottom right corner of the screen and moving the mouse pointer up), tapping or clicking Settings, tapping or clicking Change PC settings, then tapping or clicking Update and recovery.
- Tap or click Check now, then wait while Windows looks for the latest updates for your PC.
- If updates are found, tap or click Install updates.
If the issue remains after performing the Windows updates, contact your computer manufacturer, asking specifically if they have:
- Any system BIOS updates
- Any system Chipset Driver Updates
Finally, if the issue persists, a further option would be to try connecting a USB 2.0 Hub or boosted USB amplifier cable between the USB cable and the computer, as this may help the Intel 8 Series Chipset detect the ActivBoard/ActivPanel correctly.
For further information or guidance on this issue, please contact your regional Promethean Technical Customer Support team.