On some models of computer equipped with USB 3.0 or the Intel 8 Series Chipset, you may experience connectivity issues when connecting Promethean products to your computer. The problem sometimes exhibits itself as a ‘connect’ and then ‘disconnect’ sound from within Windows, but other connection issues, such as lack of interaction may occur.
Upon further investigation, we have identified that the Intel 8 Series Chipset on some models of computer behaves differently to its predecessors when connecting to some USB 2.0 devices, and are exhibiting backward compatibility issues. Whilst this is not limited to Promethean products, we are aware of occasions where the Intel 8 Series Chipset cannot detect the hardware.
Firstly, please check Device Manager to confirm your computer has USB 3.0 and/or Intel Series 8 Chipset.
Please follow these steps to resolve any connection issues.
- Open Windows Update by clicking the Start button. In the search box, type Update, and then, in the list of results, click Windows Update.
- In the left pane, click Check for updates, and then wait while Windows looks for the latest updates for your computer.
- If any updates are found, click Install updates.
Windows 8 and above
- Open Windows Update by swiping in from the right edge of the screen (or, if you’re using a mouse, pointing to the bottom right corner of the screen and moving the mouse pointer up), tapping or clicking Settings, tapping or clicking Change PC settings, then tapping or clicking Update and recovery.
- Tap or click Check now, then wait while Windows looks for the latest updates for your PC.
- If updates are found, tap or click Install updates.
If the issue remains after performing the Windows updates, contact your computer manufacturer, asking specifically if they have:
- Any system BIOS updates
- Any system Chipset Driver Updates
Finally, if the issue persists, a further option would be to try connecting a USB 2.0 Hub or boosted USB amplifier cable between the USB cable and the computer, as this may help the Intel 8 Series Chipset detect the hardware correctly.
For further information or guidance on this issue, please contact your regional Promethean Technical Customer Support team.