If you have recently updated your Windows 10 computer (build 1903 or later) and you start experiencing crashing issues (blue screen) when you connect it to an older model of ActivBoard, please read the information below.
Users of 100 series, 300 series and 500 series ActivBoards
A new ActivBoard firmware is available to resolve the issue. It is called ‘HID firmware’ (HID stands for Human Interface Device). This changes the drivers that the ActivBoard uses from the Promethean provided driver files to the Windows provided HID drivers.
NB: This firmware upgrade introduces certain changes to the use of your ActivBoard, which are due to limitations of the Windows 10 HID device drivers. They are listed below:
a. The ability to launch calibration by hovering your ActivPen over the flame LED will be disabled.
b. It will no longer be possible to disable the touch feature in ActivManager for 500 series ActivBoards.
- Disabling touch within Windows is explained in articles 1041 (Windows 7) and 1787 (Windows 10).
c. Pen interaction in extended desktop will only work if ActivManager is set to Tablet mode.
- Open ActivManager’s Control Panel and click on the Pens tab.
- Under Pen Mode, select Tablet.
- Click Close.
- NB: You may need to configure Windows 10 to allow the Stylus input to work on your ActivBoard as the second screen. To do this, go to the
Windows Control Panel, open Tablet PC Settings, then click Setup and follow the instructions on screen.
The firmware upgrade should be carried out using a computer that is connected directly to the interactive display device, bypassing any connection plates or wall boxes, using a 3m USB cable. The computer should be connected to the internet.
Before you proceed with the online HID firmware upgrade, please check the firmware version on your ActivBoard and ensure it matches the version listed in the table below:
|Model of ActivBoard||Size||Firmware version|
|ActivBoard 100 / 300 Series||78”||v8.10 (build 7)|
|ActivBoard 300 Series||87”||v8.09|
|ActivBoard 300 Series||95”||v8.04|
|ActivBoard 500 Series||78”||v8.83|
|ActivBoard 500 Series||87”||v8.63|
|ActivBoard 500 Series||95”||v8.73|
If the firmware version on your ActivBoard is older, you will first need to manually upgrade your 100 Series ActivBoard, 300 Series ActivBoard or 500 Series ActivBoard to the correct version.
Once you have verified that your firmware is on the correct version, follow the instructions below to perform the online HID firmware upgrade:
- With your computer mouse, open the ActivManager Control Panel from your system tray or taskbar. Highlight the ActivBoard and click Upgrade.
- Select Internet then click Load. ActivManager will contact our servers to download the firmware upgrade data.
- Click Yes when prompted with the message ‘Do you want to change the firmware on the selected device?’.
- The upgrade process will begin and the progress bar will advance from 0% to 100%. The Promethean flame on your ActivBoard will flash magenta until the upgrade is complete. A confirmation dialog opens; click OK then Close.
Once the upgrade is complete, the Promethean flame will flash green until you tap your ActivPen on the ActivBoard surface.
NB: For users of 500 series ActivBoards, do not operate the ActivBoard with your finger until the Promethean flame stops flashing.
After the upgrade, please follow these steps:
- Power off the ActivBoard at the amplifier by pressing the On/Standby button. Ensure that the button is now red.
- Disconnect the USB cable from the computer.
- Reboot the computer.
Users of 1st and 2nd Generation ActivBoards
Please read the information on the Community forums for these models of Activboards.
Alternatively, please contact Promethean Technical Support with your ActivBoard serial number.